Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Who's Gonna Save Me?

This is ostensibly a blog about sins and virtues.  Or at least, it started out that way.

My husband and I attended a party this past weekend, where the word of God was lavishly exalted by those present.  Some of those present are serving as missionaries in Thailand.  Questions were invited from the audience, and my husband tried to discuss Buddhism as the religion in Thailand, wondering how the Thai people reacted to hearing about Jesus.  I contributed my own two cents, by adding that Buddhism is not incompatible with Christian tenets, in that Buddha was a man who never claimed to be God, and that the principles of Buddhism dovetailed very closely to the teachings of the Judeo-Christian beliefs.  The host then interjected that the big difference between Buddhism and Christianity is that Christians believe that Jesus Christ died for our sins, and he will save us, and Christians can feel secure that they will go to Heaven after they died, having been so saved.  I decided to not stir the pot any further.

This morning on my walk with the host's wife, we again touched on that topic, with her trying to explain her husband's viewpoint.  I understood, of course, and reiterated my understanding of Buddhism as a practice that fostered harmony among people.  I also advanced my own belief, that I did not feel I needed to be "saved," that God created a perfect human being in me, as in all human beings.  Moreover, I don't believe I am basically a sinner that needs to be saved.  While my friend likes me and I her, and accepted my viewpoint, I'm afraid I may have evoked a firestorm from all those who believe otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment